The Australian Government understands the challenges facing people with a disability and recognises the need for transition support to help people with a disability to participate fully in education, training and employment.
The NDCO programme works toward the Australia-wide coordination and delivery of transition services for people with a disability who are at, or who will be attending, secondary school, university or vocational education and training.
The NDCO programme’s goals are to:
- Improve transitions to help people with a disability from school or community into post-school education and training and subsequent employment.
- Increase participation by people with a disability in higher education, vocational education and training and employment.
- Establish better links between schools, universities, TAFEs, training providers, employers and disability service providers so that they can work together to provide the best possible assistance for people with a disability.
What services does an NDCO provide?
Your local NDCO will:
- Provide information to individuals with a disability.
- Link individuals and organisations to local support services.
- Assist local education providers and employers to provide better services for people with a disability.
- Raise awareness amongst education providers, employers and the general public of the issues facing people with a disability.
The programme will benefit people with a disability, their families and support networks, along with benefiting post-secondary education providers with improved coordination and delivery of transition support services to facilitate successful employment opportunities.
The National Disability Coordination Officer supporting South East Queensland including the Gold Coast (Region #19) is located at BUSY At Work office in Springwood. The NDCO can be contacted on 13BUSY (13 28 79) or via email.
Go to Region 19 on the NDCO Queensland website www.ndcoqld.net.au
To find out more about the programme and your nearest NDCO, please visit http://education.gov.au/national-disability-coordination-officer-program