There's lots of help available if you're an apprentice or trainee with disability and are experiencing difficulties in obtaining employment or simply keeping up with work and study.
Apprentices with disability and their employers may be eligible to receive additional assistance under the Australian Apprenticeships Incentive Program. A range of assistance is available to support Australian Apprentices with disability including Disabled Australian Apprentice Wage Support, also known as DAAWS. The program is designed to help address any barriers the employer or apprentice may be facing to complete the apprenticeship and to support everyone throughout the process.
DAAWS assistance is paid to employers as an alternative to all other incentives. Payments are made directly into the employer’s bank account when eligibility is approved.
In addition to DAAWS, assistance is also available for those apprentices requiring tutorial, interpreter and mentor services with their off-the-job training. Once approved, these payments are made directly to the Supervising Registered Training Organisation providing the services. This support is also available to an employer who employs an apprentice who becomes disabled during their apprenticeship.
Assistance is also available through the Employment Assistance Fund which helps people with disability and mental health conditions by providing assistance to purchase a range of work related modifications and services. Employers can access the scheme via JobAccess or through Disability Employment Services or jobactive.
BUSY At Work can assist you and your apprentice in making an informed decision about which qualification and training outcome will best suit your needs, along with providing information on appropriate training organisations and available incentives. These include:;
- Wage support of up to $104.30 per week for a full time apprenticeship or traineeship.
- Workplace modifications support to pay for the cost of workplace adjustments and modifications.
- Tutorial assistance of up to $5,500 per year.
- Mentor and/or interpreter assistance of up to $5,500 per year.
BUSY At Work can also assist with:
- Information and unbiased advice on employing apprentices and trainees with disability, including available financial assistance.
- Your apprenticeship sign-up including lodgement of paperwork, contract signing, workplace visits and claiming Government incentives.
- Assessing whether an employer is eligible to receive Australian Government incentives.
- Visiting you at your workplace or school to provide a better understanding of how apprenticeships and traineeships work.
- Providing you and your staff with information to support apprenticeships and traineeships in your workplace.
THE BUSY GROUP LTD trading as BUSY At Work is a service provider contracted by the Australian Government as represented by the Department of Education and Training to provide support services to prospective and current employers and Australian Apprentices. THE BUSY GROUP LTD is one of a number of Network Providers in Queensland and Western Australia. This website does not represent the Australian Government, if you wish to access information about the Australian Apprenticeships, from the Australian Government you should access the Australian Apprenticeships website.